Monday, May 20, 2013

Carry on my wayward son...



I have gotten to test and destroy a lot of outdoor gear in the last 13 years for different companies for photos/reviews... technical rock gear, ropes, clothes, knives, hiking boots, trail running shoes and a pretty decent array of backpacks.



When it comes to packs I tend to max them out and often go well beyond what the designers had in mind in terms of weight necessitated by carrying both camera gear and climbing gear. With the Figure Four pack (similar to theTau 350) it only holds about 40 pounds due to the primary design goal of being a "technical fit" pack that happens to work insanely well for technical climbing.



This time, because I physically could not overload it, I did my best to aggressively cram it into every space possible whilst traveling throughout Argentina and southern Chile. On the rock pitches I carried it on - as well as the overnight treks - it performed like a dream. The fabric is Cuben and it appears to be totally bombproof, shedding water and showing hardly no signs of wear save a slight color shift due to excessive dirt and grime exposure... Carry on... and on, and on...

My review of the pack can be found at the Figure Four website.


No comments: