Sunday, July 5, 2015

Bridging The Generational Divide

When I was 31 I spent a few days backpacking the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska with my father... He brought cotton Levis, had no rain jacket and had twisted his knee getting in shape for the trip when my hasty divorce just a month prior left me with tickets to Alaska and no partner to hike with. It is one of my fondest wilderness memories - this "accidental" time spent with my dad.

This last week I shared some 60 miles with a father and son team across the Continental Divide in the Rockies of Rocky Mountain National Park. Between lightning storms, high altitude hypoxic forays, over flowered alpine tundra and snowy passes - I saw a similar bonding evolve between father and son - a bond that I believe only shared extended time in wilderness can provide...






No comments: