Monday, March 6, 2017

Spanish Quixotry: A photo essay


There are certain things about a place that make it unique. Some places seem to have just a bit more of that magic...

The Alicante region of Spain is one for me. A combination of accessible history, grand architecture with plenty of Arabesque flourishes, craggy landscapes, slices of Old World culture - all in constant collision... Early March blooms of almond trees in 24 degree celsius heat, chicken blood sausage tapas and vino tinto rioja, ruinas across ancient terraced olive groves...

I never really got what the word quixotry meant until I landed here... That glimmering sheen of god rays strafing the Bernia Ridge, a late night drunken wander during Carnival through the tiny streets of Sella,  howling levantes swirling though the trees keeping me awake - there is a wild and surreal sort of luster that makes many moments here feel impossibly possible...

I will miss it.











all images ©Bennett Barthelemy

No comments: