Friday, October 12, 2012

Beyond the Southeast Corner

My recent rediscovery of Beacon Rock, beyond the Southeast Corner, seems destined to be short lived with the rain finally making its way back. Discovered some steep and techy pure trad lines fulfilling the requisite needs for exposure, adrenaline, adventure jungleneering with scenery quotient satisfied. Jills Thrill, Fear of Flying, Dod's, Dastardly etc... Last year I had a slow start but managed an intriguingly mossy, runout and  quite loose adventure route via the original 1901 romp which includes looping railroad spikes from the 1901 FA. The history was its selling point but it is not something I would choose to do again. Call me spoiled but also found the Southeast Corner and save a few moves of Warrior was quite underwhelmed in terms of quality.
Last year in the blazing summer heat I also slithered my way up Windsurfer, perhaps the best pitch there so assumed there would be a few more gems lurking. If it weren't for the fees to park, the near 9 months of rain and the hour plus drive, falcon closures, the endless trains blasting past it would be a much easier destination. Bugling elk on the island offshore (thanks Kenny for clueing me in that Elk are such able swimmers) and kiteboarders wheeling around the windswept surf and dodging barges is pretty neat when you get  up high enough. When I feel charged enough to tackle the slicked-out 11s I am sure I will enjoy the place even more.

Kenneth Allen follows Dod's...


Beacon does have a unique charm... Lots of sketchy pitons, techy slick climbing and tricky gear while negotiating loose rock and grass hummocks mantles and grades that seem like they were pulled out of a hat... The positioning is stunning and the staunch stalwart crew of disciples it has bred over the years is also quite remarkable... Check out the new and improved and recenyly ramped up Beacon Rock Climbing Association... I hope to make it out for the next trail day...

No comments: