Thursday, October 25, 2012

Heroes of the Vertical

Getting to interview some all time heroes in the climbing world for this Climbing Mag feature  was certainly one of the highlights of my life! 

All the interviews held surprises: My conversations (and later getting to do a photo shoot at Owens) with the late John Bachar surprised me - just standing with him, his incredibly relaxed but paradoxically intensely focused demeanor was unique and powerful; Johnny Copp for his very deep, mystical musings; Steph Davis for her very thoughtful and thought-provoking responses; Lynn Hill for calling me out on my interview questions saying, "I don't like to think in absolutes..." Kennan for his ability to blend his passions for photography, family and verticality. Lauren and Paul for sharing their love of the lifestyle... 

Most of us know these people from photos, a few seconds of sound bites in a video, a memoir written in tandem with another author... To have a back and forth, as limited as it was, but on deeper topics offered a dimensionality and depth which helped me to understand some of the commonalities about what makes us human and what makes some of us a little bit more successful... 

Unfortunately, these too are are just soundbites, snippets to offer a glimpse. The original interviews were of course thousands of words longer... 

Tom Frost should have been included in this project. Thankfully I got a chance to interview him a year later. Click here to read Tom Frost prespective - Tom, without a doubt, is one of the most amazing human beings I have had the good fortune to spend a bit of time with. We talked and I shot a few pics of him as he made a set of Frost Sentinel Nuts in his garage. From being one of the first photographers to lug a camera up El Cap, to hearing his philosophy, stories and perspectives about life and the climbing life, the magical moments with Tom I will never forget.

You all continue to be incredible inspirations- thank you.


No comments: