Thursday, February 13, 2014

Excerpts from The National Experience...

The following are some excerpts from journals I wrote on my iPhone while working - a long-term project I am calling The National Experience... 

It shares a bit of my struggles and illuminations working in the corporate world, at the bottom rung, and sharing a bit of the voices of the unforgettable individuals I met there while working at the Portland International Airport from July of 2012 to February of 2013...


The National Experience ©Bennett Barthelemy

Retrospect…

It has been two weeks since my last day with National. In some ways I miss it terribly. It was a place of transformation for me and an experience I am grateful to have had. More than anything it taught me how strong and adaptable the human spirit can be, by sharing in the intense realities of the Ukranians, Russians, Ethiopians, Turks, Somalis that work there… It was an illuminating mix of uneducated, of misanthropic, of Muslims, of Christians, of ever-shifting managers, part-timers, of suited service agents - those whose lives delicately balance at the fringe, living paycheck to paycheck and one icy slip away from bankruptcy…There were Ethiopians that spoke five languages and had advanced degrees working for minimum wage. Deeq has 10 kids and supports them on the salary he makes, while Abdi worked two full time jobs to support his family... Jill's husband fell here at work and shattered his elbow, and despite the two of them having worked here for years and full-time (Jill also was pulling in hours at The Dollar Store too) they were looking at potential bankruptcy...



I filed my own bankruptcy while I worked there. I was eventually working full time, but filling in for Piotr, a Ukrainian out on medical leave - which meant I still got no health benefits, no raise. The currency to feed the spirit is what I ultimately came away with -- minimum wage keeps everyone in poverty -- but the richness that these men and women shared from their lives captivated me. Many honorable and highly intelligent individuals are at work there. Where is the Carl Sandberg of our generation? Who speaks for the working class and who listens? What is happening to the shrinking unions? Is Bruce Springsteen reaching anyone or preaching to a small choir? It seems the legacy of this blue-collar job has also left with many questions…



August 12, 2012
This multi-storied concrete and steel parking garage and the adjacent parking lots have become my work universe for 24 hours a week at $8.80 an hour. Myself and perhaps 100 others work for the car rental agencies who’s counters and cars are housed immediately across the six one way lanes of Airport Way and the terminals. Essentially I was hired through Enterprise but since EAN owns the other two brands I become a floater for all three but answer to the National PDX managers and to their assistants who make my work schedule and tell me which stalls to park the cars in, when to go upstairs for dirties (dirty cars from Enterprise), when to stay at QTA(no one knows what this stands for) and help the car washers push cars through. They tell me when to jump in with driver/shuttlers. The driver shuttlers, as opposed to hikers like me, are generally the less fit and/or less ambitious employees that work with a chase van and head to remote lots for transiting vehicles to and from distant overflow parking or down to Alamo for repairs.



Nobody speaks the Queen’s English here, or American for that matter – most communication seems to be via secret code, which is why I imagine they find it easy to hire so many non-English speaking, or partially English literate internationals. If it is not English than its Ukrainian, Russian, Amharic, Tamil… It kind of reminds of Dubai, where well over 70 percent of the workforce population is imported. The PDX percentage of internationals flip-flops dramatically of course in any type of magagement position or if customer contact is required. If you wear a suit your chance of being an American born English speakers seems to goes up to about 90%. in the microcosm that is PDX. Dubai gets ranked as one of the world’s number one cities for employment. Portland is about dead last I am realizing... often getting ranked on par with Detroit, one of the most challenging cities in the country for employment...

Sept 7, 2012
When I am not collecting quotes from the crazy array of individuals here at work
I am a continual daydreamer on my own flights of fancy to distant and sometimes ancient locales, anywhere but here. I imagine the planes that continually zing overhead as arrows shot from some great Turkish bow like the ones I had seen in Topkapi Palace. Record flight in Ottoman Period said to be 845 meters, roughly half a mile – nearly 3x what a European longbow of only wood could do. Light with high velocity. Turkish bows were a blend of bone and wood. Derived from the Mongul bow. Genghis Khans brother’s (or his brothers son depending upon which account you read) is said to have shot a target at 335 alds or 536 meters. Eagle feathers from just the right part of the bird, just the perfect angle and height of fletching, birch. For the bad rap they get as barbarians they were sure meticulous when it came to warring.

Feb 3 2013

"Bennett, Bennett, Bennett", Misfien shouted when he saw me at work today. "In four months we have son we call Bennett. My wife she loves the name. We tap her belly and say 'hi Bennett!'". I told Misfien my last day was to be Tuesday. He was a bit upset. "Why you leave? When you come back?" I told him I was traveling and moving to Colorado. He said, "When you go to Ethiopia? I go next year. You come, pay transportation and stay with me. You pay nothing else."


Feb 5 2013

I bought Deeq and Abdi "real" coffee from Starbucks today instead of the Folgers that was always in short supply in the break room. Abdi and Deeq thanked me and Abdi said, "We miss you, man." I told them I would miss all their great stories. "One day when you go Africa you remember Abdi." I told him that when I see lions I will remember his story of his grandfather. He excitedly shared it again... "When he kill lion he cut lion's hair and put on his door, nobody ever bother him. Very strong, 7-feet tall. World changing now. New generation like me, afraid of lion. They used to wrap cloth on arm very big and put in lion mouth. When he bite they come with knife and stab under neck."




Gabe, who works for National, takes a break from washing cars...








No comments: